Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dr. Seuss Thing 1 and 2 Part I

Today I had the pleasure of being a part of 2 special little boys 1st birthday celebration. The theme was Dr. Seuss/Thing 1 & 2. I have been dying to do a red and aqua party so this was the perfect theme for it. As stated in a previous post- I was totally inspired by Amy of Stem and Jill of Bird and the Berry to do this theme. They did them for baby showers but it worked just as perfect for 1 yr olds. This family was so awesome and fun to work with. Kristen is a interior decorator and was so gracious to take out all of her furniture so the room can become Seussville. Remember this party was done on a major budget- I'm not going to tell you how much I spent yet. Here is the dessert table. There are so many details that I want to share so this party will have 2 posts. I will cover in detail tomorrow this table, the cupcakes and beverage station.

Just want to wet your appetite for tomorrow's post!!
I bought 3 yards of blue flannel material on clearance at WalMart for $2.56 a yard, 1 yard of red felt for $1.88 so all of the circles you see were cut out from that material. The red mesh was 88 cents a yard at WalMart. Mesh has bigger holes than tulle and is not as soft but using it for decor works great because it is cheaper than tulle. However, if doing a wedding I would definitely use tulle because it has a more elegant feel. I used the red mesh on the fireplace mantel as well as for chair sashes. The lanterns I have used for so many parties....they are just so versatile- when you see a paper lantern on sale- buy it!
The Cat in The Hat stuffed animal, lunchboxes and books are my neighbors so free! If you are having a theme always check out your friends and families stash- you never know what you may find that would be perfect and FREE!
Like the banner?? A printable (you know how I love printables!!) from an awesome ETSY site called Typewink! The printable set was actually for a carnival theme but the colors were perfect so I purchased for only $10. I emailed Sarah and she did some custom work for me in just a couple of hours!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE- I will be using her again!!
Had to bling out Reid and Daxen highchairs!
Here comes the red mesh- just wrapped around and add the custom banner from Typewink! Of course, they each had to have a matching cake!

The Christmas tree was completely the boy's mom Kristen craftiness. I had the hat and material sitting on a table and she just got creative and made a Seuss tree! LOVE!
Here is the children's table. Just cut out more blue and red circles from material and scattered on table. I got this "muse" from Amy at Stem...thanks Amy!!

I glued $ Tree blue yarn onto $ Tree glass cylinders and used $ Tree flowers with drops of red paint in water. So a total of $10 for 3 centerpieces.

I think this is my favorite idea - I took Christmas plastic containers and glued on material. On top of container is a candy cane inside a napkin wrapped with scrapbook paper. The kids favors are Tootsie rolls (the container is a bank). Why are the containers my favorite idea?????
Because this is where the kids food is contained and it makes things so simple. Parents don't have to worry about making a plate....kids just open up their container and EAT! Their meal consisted of a (round) turkey and provolone sandwich, Sun chips, carrots and raisins!
Here is the awesome family after cake!

Look at the mom's outfit- she even dressed the theme! How awesome is that!!! What a pleasure Kristen to have worked with you!

I must get some shut eye but will post more pics tomorrow. I hope you enjoyed the party so far and got some ideas!

4 comments:

  1. Cute ideas, especially the lunch box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always so cute.I love everything about this party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very cute! I am preparing myself to be amazed by the budget, and I know I will be! You are so very creative.. love the red dots, they add more than you know! Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a rockin party and my kids are still talking about it! It was so fun and great for kids and adults. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete